Tuesday, March 29, 2011

On Being a SAHM

The greatest thing she'd learned over the years is that there's no way to be a perfect mother, but a million ways to be a good one.
Author Unknown

Being a SAHM (stay at home mom) is the hardest job you will ever love and hate. I remember the days when I had my own identity and people used my name. I have compounded this fun by adding homeschooling my 9yo ADD son to the mix. So life here at Casa G is always interesting.

When my husband and I made the decision for me to quit my job as an accounting clerk and stay home with our kids, I was full of enthusiasm and excitement at the prospect of seeing every milestone, being there for every class project and talent show. Now four years into this I am seriously thinking I might need a vacation in a padded room.

That is not to say I don't love my job as, mother, teacher, short order cook, and maid, there are days when I am so proud of what I do and of my family I could burst from it all. On the other hand there are days when I wonder if I will ever own clothing without bleach spots from cleaning or if I will ever be able to enjoy a quiet afternoon reading a book alone.

For all of my whining about my life as a Mother and Wife I have to say I get excited when my house is clean, enjoy knowing there are clean sheets on the bed. Love putting a home cooked meal on the table. I know it's not the life I envisioned for myself back in high school, I had grand ideas of being a famous speech writer or even an interior designer, but I get to do some of all of that now. My rewards are seeing my kids grow and learn, hugs and smiles, and in the end what more can any SAHM ask for!! 

1 comment:

  1. Being a friend to this particular SAHM is as rewarding as reading her musings on the subject. Heather is witty and genuine. Well worth the "follow"! :)

    ReplyDelete