Saturday, March 10, 2012

Why I Care and You Should Too

As moms we get busy.  We have kids, a husband and work.  We homeschool or run a business.  We get very wrapped up in our own lives.  We don't pay much attention to the news or politics.  We may have a cause but really we just want to go about our way and live our lives with as little drama as we can.  
Now I know this is not true for everyone but for a long time it was me.  I woke up the day I started reading the book “Atlas Shrugged.”  No longer can I stick my head in the sand and pretend that this is not happening.  I can't put off the problems for my children to deal with.  I know things have to be done.  
What can one woman do?  This is a question I ask myself often. It does not matter what side of the political spectrum you are on, you can be informed, you can write a letter, or you can make a call.  We all fill our days with things to help our kids; for example, we might add to their college fund or teach them to be self sufficient, but we don't think any farther than this week or next.   What will happen when our debt, as a nation, comes due?  What happens when the protesters succeed and bring down our government?  Will our children see the zombie apocalypse?
All of this sounds scary and it is a bit of a wake up call.  This isnot my usual daily parenting dilemma that I  blog about, but the future of our country scares me, and the more I look around, the more I have to wonder, are we ready? What are we doing daily to make things easier for our kids and our country?  
So far all I seem to have is a lot of questions and very few answers.  It's a lot like the Matrix, once your eyes are open you can't close them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment