Thursday, September 12, 2013

Not Girly

Everyone has something they are good at.   We all have strengths and weaknesses.  I learned in my time in business that you should always point out positives before negatives, so here we go.  I can cook, I keep a neatish house, I homeschool ( this should count as a superpower).   I keep abreast of current affairs, even try to help out when I can.  Then it strikes me….I fail at being girly.  

Now, this is not a tragedy by any stretch of the imagination.  I am sure my husband is happy to not have a high maintenance wife.  Yet everytime I try, I feel like there is just a disconnect.   My toes are a mess and painting them myself usually ends up in tears.   Everytime I pick out nail polish it is the same damn color. We will not even talk about my hair style, or lack thereof.

My shoes never match my bag, and I only wear heels when I can’t get away without.   I learned a long time ago walking in heels is just not for me. I might be able to do a wedge if I try real hard. It seems everyone I know owns a Coach bag, and I just can't see spending that much on something to carry a wallet in. Hell, I carried a diaper bag for way longer just so I did not have to find a purse.

I really don’t know why this bothers me.   My husband likes how I do my makeup and hair.  He has never complained about my pony tail, or flats.  He usually says very little about how I dress.   Even when I ask…. Smart man!   

It just seems that I lack the gene to be girly.  I don’t see shoes and swoon. I don’t count a trip to Ulta as fun. I don’t get my nails done; truth be told, I am a nail biter so it is a battle for me to even have nails. I hate shopping; the thought of it makes me break out in hives.  I don’t want to deal with picking out matching clothes, and frankly I would rather find a new kitchen gadget or sofa or anything but pick out clothing.

Alas, I have to be presentable, and I am very well aware of this.   So I do my best and cross my fingers that when I leave the house I don’t look like Punky Brewster (oops just dated myself).   I only apply makeup when I think the situation calls for it, and the twice a year I am called upon to wear heels, I cringe.  

I wonder if there is a class on how to be girly.  Oh, well, I would probably fail.  I will stick to canning vegetables and making dinner, drying herbs and making laundry soap.  Things I know, things I enjoy.  Easy and comfortable, that’s me.

No comments:

Post a Comment